|Frequently Asked Questions
- Do the costs of the tours include the entry fees?
- The private tour, semi-private tour and group tour prices do not include any entrance fees, reservation fees, headset rentals (Vatican Museums require headsets for guided groups larger than 6 people), and food and beverages.
- Can you bypass the lines or buy tickets in advance?
- Yes, for all of our group, semi-private and private tours we guarantee preferred entrance and pre-purchased tickets in order to avoid the lines.
- For the Vatican Museums, Through Eternity is one of the few accredited companies that can make reservations in-advance for preferred entry therefore we will have reservations for most days of the year. Based on our extensive experience, there are some days of the year where there are no lines therefore we will not have a reservation, saving you the cost of the reservation fee.
- For the Colosseum, we pre-purchase tickets in-advance when needed.
- For the Borghese Gallery, The Uffizi Gallery and The Accademia we always make reservations in-advance.
- Do you accept credit cards or how can I prepay?
- For group tours we accept credit cards for the full payment, paid only through PayPal.com, when booking online. For the entrance fees, we kindly ask that you pay your guides in cash in Euro the day of your tour.
- For semi-private tours we accept credit cards for the full payment, paid only through PayPal.com, when booking online. For the entrance fees, we kindly ask that you pay your guides in cash in Euro the day of your tour.
- For private tours without a car, we do not require a deposit. We ask that the entire cost of the tour and the entrance fees is paid to your guide in cash Euro the day of your tour.
- For private tours with a car, we require a 25% deposit to hold the reservation payable through PayPal (www.paypal.com). Our Customer Care Team will contact you with the payment details within 48 hours of your confirmation.
- Is my payment or deposit refundable?
- If you can’t attend the tour you booked or you cancel a car transfer refunds will only be provided based on the cancellation timeline listed below:
Is there a Student discount?
- 10 or more days before the tour day: 90% of the cost
- Between 3 and 9 days before the tour day: 50% of the cost.
- Less than 48 hours: No refund.
Is there a Youth discount?
- We offer a 30% discount, off the regular price of the tour(s), for all students with valid ID (for group tours only) ages 18-24. Student ID's are required by most ticket booths at sites visited to obtain discounted tickets. Unfortunately, if the student's ID is unavailable, the 30% discount cannot be applied.
- For groups of students that visit Rome for educational purposes we can provide specific itineraries related to their studies and time constraints. For all of these itineraries we will provide with at least a 30% discount, off the regular price of the tour(s). Please contact us so that we may create a personalized, guided visit at an affordable price.
What is the difference between your Vatican 3.5 hour Essential Experience and your Vatican 5 hour In-Depth Experience tours?
- We offer a 30% discount for youth/children between the ages of 5 and 17.
- Children 4 and under are always free.
Can I carry backpacks or large bags on the tours?
- Our 5 hour In-Depth Experience tour is our most popular group tour and has been extremely successful over the last ten years during which we were (and still are) the only company offering it. The Vatican Museums make up one of the largest collections of art in the world while Vatican City is the smallest country in the world. 5 hours is hardly enough to let our guides take you on a trip from the past into the present. As our guides bring to life the wonders of the Vatican, the tour never feels as long as it sounds. The group also stops for lunch about half-way through the tour inside of the Vatican Museums.
- Our 3.5 hour Essential Experience tour was created for clients who simply don't have time for our 5 hour tour due to travel constraints and for families with young children. Our 3.5 hour tour (as well as the even shorter 3 hour Vatican tours usually offered by other companies) does not include the Pinacoteca (Picture Gallery housing the only Da Vinci and Caravaggio in the Museums as well as Raphael's famous Transfiguration.) We also do not take a lunch break on this shorter tour.
Can my guide meet me at my hotel for private tours?
- At the Vatican, you must check backpacks and large bags. We advise that you do not bring them with you on the group tour as they will disrupt your tour. You will not be able to exit into St. Peter's Basilica with the rest of your group and guide and you will have to return to the entrance to collect your bag. The Borghese Gallery requires ALL items be checked before entering the Gallery. This includes purses, cameras, shopping bags, etc. At the Colosseum and Roman Forum as well as other sites not mentioned, backpacks and other large bags are currently permitted to be carried while visiting the sites.
Is transportation included? Will my guide have transportation when meeting at the hotel?
- We will definitely meet you at your hotel as long as it is located in the city center. Our Customer Care Team will contact you within 48 hours of your reservation to let you know if your hotel is located outside the city center. At the end of your tour, your guide will not take you back to your hotel but will assist you in locating a taxi or provide directions.
- Hotels near the airport, on Aurelia Antica (behind the Vatican), or the Cavalieri Hilton are too far. Many have shuttles and our guides can meet them at the shuttle drop point in the center; or you may take a taxi or public transportation to a pre-arranged meeting point in the city.
If we are late for a tour, will you wait for us?
- Transportation is not included. When the guide meets you at your hotel, they will coordinate taxis, walking or public transportation to get to the first tour destination for which your party will incur the cost. Private transportation can be arranged at an additional charge.
- For our group tours and semi-private tours, we ask that you meet your guide on-site. A map/instructions to the meeting point will be included in your confirmation.
Can we split the price of a private tour with other couples?
- On our group tours and semi-private tours, we give our clients a "grace period" of 5 minutes as we understand the difficulties in navigating an unfamiliar city. Beyond this, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to meet up with your guide as it would be unfair to the rest of the group to make them wait longer. It is always a good idea to call us if you know you will be late so we can notify the guide. As a courtesy to our clients, the guides will turn off their phone after the start of the tour and will therefore be unreachable. We recommend giving yourselves extra time to make sure that you arrive at the meeting point for the scheduled start time of the tour.
- For private tours, your guide will wait for you for 20 minutes. After this time, if we have not heard from you, we will assume that you will not be coming and your tour will be cancelled. Please notify us if you do not wish to take your scheduled tour so we may have time to book another group wanting to tour with us.
Are your private tours limited to 5 people since the prices are quoted for up to 5?
- We keep private tours exclusive to one booking party, and do not combine separate reservations to form small groups. If you are interested in less expensive options, please refer to our Semi-Private Tours and Group Tour pages.
Can you guarantee me a particular guide?
- We can take any size party for private tours. The base prices quoted are for 1-5 people. For each additional person over 5 there will be an additional charge. During the booking process you will be asked to enter the number of people in your party. Once you do so, you will see the total cost of the tour (for a maximum of 15 people.) If you have more than 15 people in your party, please contact us directly for a quote.
Will my guide speak English well?
- We will be happy to note a request for a particular guide for private tours but can not guarantee their availability. For group and semi-private tours, we do not accept requests.
Do you offer tours in languages other than English?
- All of our guides in all cities are completely fluent in English. Most of our guides are native English speakers. We require an extremely high proficiency in English for any guide who works with us.
What is the policy for children?
- All of our group and semi-private tours are conducted only in English.
- For private tours in German, please go to our German site www.durchdieewigkeit.com
- We also provide tours in Dutch, Russian, Spanish and French. Please contact us for further information and availability.
Do your tours enter the Colosseum?
- Children 4 and under tour for free while children 5-18 enjoy a 30% percent discount on all group tours. Our guides are particularly adept at bringing the sights to life for children and keeping their energy and interest levels up. Please note that some ticket booths (like at the Vatican Museums) may ask to see your child to obtain discounted tickets. If their age is questionable, they may ask for proof of age.
- We can pace our private tours to meet the interest and energy levels of children. We will ensure that your guide is someone especially great with children. Please provide ages when booking.
How many people are in your group tours?
- Yes, all our tours of the Colosseum most certainly include a visit inside.
Do you use headsets?
- We limit our group tours to no more than 15 people (paying clients as we do not count non-paying children for this total) per guide to allow for an enjoyable experience for all clients.
Can you provide wheelchairs or strollers? Or, what do you suggest for those with difficulty walking in our group?
- For group Vatican tours, we use headsets as they are mandatory for 5 or more people. For private Vatican tours we recommend them for groups of 6 or more.
What happens if a site is unexpectedly closed on the day of scheduled tour?
- Unfortunately, on our group and semi-private tours, wheelchairs cannot be admitted as we must follow a set path and itinerary for the group. Those with strollers, please be sure they are able to be folded and carried when needed.
- For private tours, while we do not have wheelchairs, they can be rented at the Vatican directly. For those in wheelchairs, strollers or with difficulty walking, Rome's historic center can be difficult to navigate. The Colosseum/Roman Forum and Palatine Hill are part of a large archaeological park with many uneven walkways and steep climbs. On our private tours, we can certainly alter the tour itinerary and path to accommodate - for example, instead of going into the Forum, we can view it from the modern road that parallels it.
- We are happy to pace and shape your private tour according to your needs. If there is someone in your party with difficulty staying on his or her feet for long periods of time, your guide will gladly stop and take breaks as needed. Please inform us of anything you feel we should know to better plan your personalized itinerary.
I keep emailing but not getting a response. What can I do?
- Occasionally, some sites will close or change opening hours without warning or advance notice. While we regret these inconveniences, we are not responsible for them. We do our best to stay up-to-date with closings at all sites. Sometimes but not often, they will close without notice (i.e. St. Peter's Basilica for a special mass or the Colosseum/Roman Forum for an employee strike). In these rare cases, your guide will modify the itinerary and give you as complete a tour as possible working with the circumstances given.
- Some email servers (such as Comcast, BellSouth, AOL and Me.com) see our emails as spam and reject them. Other times, our emails are just sent to your junk folder. If you have sent a request from our website and have not received a response, please contact directly using email@example.com or please call us at +39 06 700 9336 (please leave a voice message in the event we cannot answer).